Backups with JungleDisk
For the past 6 months I've been using JungleDisk to back up most of my important files on Amazon S3. It has a great auto-backup feature which keeps me from worrying about data loss. Like many people, I never thought about data loss until after I lost an entire drive (which I'm still keeping in case I become rich enough to blow $2k to have it restored).
Amazon S3 is also incredibly cheap:
- Pay only for what you use. There is no minimum fee and no start-up cost.
- $0.15 per gigabyte-month of storage used.
- $0.10/0.18 per gigabyte of data uploaded/downloaded.
- $0.01 per 1,000 upload or 10,000 download requests.
- Remember that you only pay for what you use! If you have 1.2 GB of data stored, you only pay 18 cents! If you only have 100MB that's only 2 cents!
It gives me some strange satisfaction to receive my monthly 10¢ bill from Amazon. :)
The only problem I have with the setup is that Windows Explorer ALWAYS locks up when browsing my JungleDisk drive. I'm assuming it's not a problem with JungleDisk since it works fine on my Mac.
Anyway, the Amazon S3 & JungleDisk combo is certainly worth checking out. It's so ridiculously cheap for the amount of pain and trouble it can prevent!